Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Closing Time

Hey Y’all,
            So this is it, my final post. I was originally supposed to leave in late June but plans change. Instead I left on April 14th. I chose to end my trip early so I could have time to visit Universities before making my final decision. It was a heartbreaking decision to make but I know it was the right one for me. There’s so much I could write about my time in Brazil that this post has been difficult but I’m going to write about my last few days and how readjusting has been.

            On my last weekend, my amazing family threw me a going away party. It was a fantastic party with all of my good friends and family and then some strangers that were just there to party. It was bittersweet having to say goodbye to everyone.












The next day my sisters and some of our friends went to the Holi One festival. It was a blast! The electronic music and all the colors everywhere were so much fun. We danced all day to the pounding music and were coated in covered in a rainbow by the end of the night.




Leaving was sad but mostly I felt numb. I couldn't believe I wouldn't see so many of these people again. Boarding that plane was tough and arriving back in the USA was even harder.
Saying goodbye




My balloons floated away, of course

Being back is... strange? Hard? Good? Bad? It's all of those things and more. I have the unique situation of having my family move states while I was away. I left home in San Antonio, Texas but arrived home in Seattle, Washington. I cried a lot the first week, two or three times a day. I've had problems fitting back into my family. They've had all this time without me and have established new routines. They tell me I'm so different from when I left but can say exactly how. I've already graduated from high school and yet I won't start school until this fall. I'm in a new city where I know no one. The food here in America is beyond amazing and I can honestly say I am not missing rice and beans twice a day. It's been a really rough adjustment. Some days I'm thrilled to be back and in a beautiful new city and some days I hate the city and even the country and everyone in it. During the first week I kept saying, "that's not how we do it in Brazil." 
Being an exchange student is a heartbreaking experience. You sign up to move to a new country, join a new family. To fall in love with this place and all the people you meet there, only to leave after one year. All good things must come to an end and like all amazing experiences, the end hurts. It was worth it though. It hurt so much because it was  a once in a lifetime experience. I will always treasure my time there and the incredible people I met there will never be far from my thoughts. The people and the experience helped shape me and I will cherish my memories. 
For all future exchange students, learn the language, make the most of every moment, say yes to every invitation, and get to know the people. They're what really make the experience special. Before you know it your year will be over and you'll be back to your regular life. Tchau and boa viagem!


P.S. I made my college decision. Go ducks! 


1 comment: