Sunday, March 8, 2015

Let's Get This Party Started

Hey Y'all,
    Sorry for the lack of updates things have been rather exciting here in Brazil. We just recently celebrated Carnival last month. For those of you that aren't aware of what Carnival is here is how Google sums it up,
  1. "A week-long party characterizes Brazil's Carnival, the Mardi Gras of the southern hemisphere. Celebrations and parades are held throughout the country, most notably in the city of Rio de Janeiro and the Brazilian states of Bahia and Pernambuco."

  2. Looks like a good time, right? I was picturing, well, the pictures above. Not exactly. My family chose to do a much more family oriented weekend at our countryside home. We drove up after school on friday to a beautiful part of the country about 3 hours West of Sao Paulo. Our family home was a beautiful stone house with an attached guest house and a pool and garden. It also came with two friendly and adorable dogs. Our whole extended family came up for carnival and it was a blast to get to spend this time with them.


  3. During the day we spent our time hanging with the family and swimming in the pool. We went out clubbing twice. Both times there were two or three dogs hanging out in the club. They laid down in the middle of the dance floor, sat on the couches, and even climbed up on stage with the band! Even the Brazilians were confused by these lost dogs.





  4. We went to town only a few times.We mostly ventured into town to get ice cream and other goodies but one time we did go in with some of the younger children to go to the children's festival. Young children dressed in halloween costumes threw confetti at each other while adults dressed up in silly costumes danced around and sang. 

    I'm pretty sure my face says it all.
  5.  I was expecting a big Carnival like the type you see in Rio but I enjoyed my experience with this small town Carnival. Though, I definitely plan to go to Rio for the big Carnival experience. I was disappointed that no one I asked could tell me the meaning of Carnival or why they took part in it.Overall, I'd say Carnival was a success and I had a wonderful time celebrating with my family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment