Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Party on, Wayne.

Party! Party! Party! This past weekend I went to my first real Brazilian clubbing experience. It was amazing! Everything you could want and more. I'm not going to go too much into my experience but I know that one of my main questions about Brazil before I came was about the nightlife. So for future exchange students, I'm going to tell you what you can expect and give you some advice. If you're interested in what party I went to here is the link for last  years video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRVzseS2js
Basically, it's a giant costume party in a three story club. Ah-Mazing!

*WARNING*
So Brazilian men are a lot more aggressive than what most girls are used to. Guy's literally just grab you and kiss you. There are four ways that this happens; guys who dance with you and then try to kiss you, guys who ask (or in my case mime), guys who reach out and touch your arm and like cock their heads in the universal gesture of, "Wanna go?", and men that literally just grab you (around the waist or unfortunately by the back of the head/hair) and start kissing you. So keep your eyes open and remember to give a firm, "No!" if you don't want to. They're good about backing off when you say no. If you're someone who this could be a trigger for I'd suggest just not going to these kinds of parties/clubs. You can say "no" once they grab you but you can't really stop them from grabbing you in the first place. Stick to school parties, birthday parties, friends parties, and family parties if this is something that will upset you. I chose to take it as a compliment and just laugh it off and turn them down as politely as possible.

Tips and Tricks
1.) Stay sober. Hey now, don't look at me like I'm a buzz kill! You'll thank me by the end of the night when you're one of the only people not vomiting or you can simply walk in a straight line and avoid the puddles of drunk people vomit. If you truly find it so hard to be sober (you're probably from Europe) they gave out free waters and even some free snacks like cotton candy. You can also purchase heavier food such as Chinese food. Either finish your drink before you hit the dance floor or put a hand over the top so that no one puts anything in it. Be smart and stay safe.

2.) Wear flats. I swear to God I'm not a buzzkill, but this was the best decision I've made quite possibly during my whole time here. It was a seven hour party and Brazilians love to dance during all of it! Also there are very, very  few places to sit down and rest. And by that, I mean I didn't sit down once in those whole seven hours. I fell down once but it wasn't really the rest I had hoped for. By hour two almost all the girls on the dance floor were barefoot because their heels hurt so much. They then had to either decide to carry their shoes around for another five hours or risk them being stolen. Also, they had to navigate their way in the pitch black on a dance floor with cigarette butts, spilled alcohol, vomit, and pee (this will be explained later.) Remember, that your parents are picking you up from this and kids have been sent home because their parents complained they were drunkards.

3.) Be rude. This was the first thing my friend told me when we got there, "If you don't want to kiss a guy be as rude as possible as you can about it. Just be a b***h. That's the only way he'll get the message." I swear to God I can be rude (just ask my mother) but I have a problem about giggling at the wrong times and an inability to be rude to strangers (curse my mom for instilling manners). For example, a few weeks ago I fell downs the stairs in a short skirt in front of all  my friends and several teachers and administrators and immediately I started laughing so hard I cried,to which my friend laughed and said, "Thats how the Americans do it." So clearly I laugh at inappropriate times. So of course none of my No's were taken very seriously because I was laughing like a loon and rambling in English. Some of them spoke english, one as he was holding my face and I was dodging his kisses says to me, "But I speak English!", so not even the English speaking one's will take you seriously. You've got to be firm to the point of rudeness with most of them. Just give a very firm No and a shake of your head. And absolutely no laughing! Just remember that you're in charge of what happens. Lots of men will try and kiss you but you get the final say. Overall the men are nice and respectful about it. I never felt unsafe, uncomfortable, or like I was being forced. Only do what you're comfortable with and you can choose to stop at any point and Brazilian guys just are like, "Okay, cool. Bye," and walk away. It's no big deal. Just follow your instincts and do what is right for you.

4.)If you do want to kiss them have at it.  The Brazilians I know kissed between 6-10 guys each. Which seriously shocked me as a puritanical American, but is no big thing in Brazil. So go craz,as long as it's what you want, no one will judge.

5.) Go prepared.  We had a signal with our group so that if we were finished with a guy and they weren't letting go our friends could yank us away. But I would suggest having a hand signal (like a peace sign or something) ours was an upturned wrist but sometimes your wrist is simply upturned and some girls unfortunately got yanked away from guys they actually liked. Oops. Also walk through the crowds in a chain holding hands so that no one gets lost (like kindergarten all over again just with more booze). If you do separate from the group take at least one other person with you and have one meeting point that you all know about. Keep your friends in sight, even the ones necking with random guys, so that no one is dragged off and you can see their hand signals. The girls pretty much end all the kisses so you'll use that hand signal quite a bit. It's also good to have a friend that speaks English if you're not yet fluent so she can explain to random guys grabbing at you to leave you alone because you don't speak Portuguese. This will result in them miming kisses, speaking English to you, or (my personal favorite) replies like, "I don't care. I don't want to talk to her. I just want to kiss her!"

6.) There are certain things you shouldn't do (Boys I'm looking at you!) No licking faces, sniffing hair, or peeing on people. Unfortunately all of these happened to me *shudders*. 1) Licking. Unless you're comfortable enough with a girl that you're a 100% sure she'll be ok with you licking her face (hint, most aren't!), just don't do it. My first thought was, "Wait, did my face just get licked? Was his tongue just on my cheek?! Why did this happen?!" 2.) Sniffing random people hair is usually a no no. I got yanked out the crowd by a guy who, though he took my no kissing thing well, then felt the need to stick his nose in my hair and take a big whiff. Now, I know I smell like rainbows, sunshine, and unicorns all in one but please, please keep your nostrils to yourself. 3.) Peeing on people. This is really just never ok. Unless you've asked and they've agreed (weird but hey, whatever floats your incredibly twisted boat) don't pee on other people! I don't care that you're that you're wasted and the bathroom lines are ridiculously long! This is no excuse to scar people by whipping it out and peeing right there on the dance floor. I am now scarred for life! I have been peed on!! This is horrifying and I had to dance through several more hours telling myself that if I pretend there wasn't pee on my foot there wouldn't be. So please boys, unless otherwise asked, when it comes to girls you don't know, it's best to; keep your tongues off of cheeks, nostrils out of hair, and boy parts in your pants. From all women, we thank you.

So there's my advice for all of you coming to party in Brazil. I would highly suggest it. I had an amazing time! Probably the best night I've ever had in Brazil and definitely a top 5 in my life. Come party in Brazil, it's the best! Just try not to be licked on the face, sniffed, or peed on. Or do any of those things to unsuspecting things to girls. Besides that, just be safe and have the time of your life! Tchau!

No comments:

Post a Comment